Monday, January 12, 2009

SWF seeks Arroz con Gandules Recipe for LTR


Okay, I've tried making Arroz con Gandules in a number of ways, and I just can't find a recipe that I really like that I can stick with. I know there are many ways to make it, but somehow whenever I do it, it ends up too bland or too salty. Anyone have any specific suggestions or tried and true recipes? I'm getting a little desparate! Help!


*By the way, this post was triggered by Tyler Florence's episode of "Tyler's Ultimate," where he makes smashed caramelized plantains, pernil, and apparently "arroz de gandules." I have to give him a wag of the finger for getting the name of such a popular Puerto Rican dish incorrect, but I will give him a tip of the hat for at least attempting to feature Puerto Rican food on the Food Network.



My Puerto Rico mommy serving up some rice and beans

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tropicalfox said...

I saw that episode and he almost had it... until he put the jalapenos in the rice! Good Lord, why can't people realize that not all latinos use heat in their foods??? It was an abomination! Both my son and I had the same reaction... we sucked in our breath and said "what the hell? Lo jodio!!!" which means he f'd up real bad! I even wrote a letter to the Food Network about it but never got a response from them.

Renee said...

Haha, you'll have to let me know if they write you back! Once I asked my adopted Puerto Rican mommy if she had any hot sauce and she looked at me like I was crazy! Poor Tyler Florence, at least he tried!